Sunday, February 2, 2014

studio sunday

Baby Baker wall hanging is coming along! I think I'll be done next weekend...well, I better be done next weekend. That baby is around the corner! Oh I am so excited to say hello to this little boy.

I'm also so excited for this wall hanging!! 9 little pieces all about Aly and Randy's life. Since I've known Aly for for over 20 years (whaaaaat?!), I'm endeared to many of these things as well. And using different techniques and colors for each momento makes the process really fun. This is a great project.


Tunnel Bar ~ owned in part by Aly's parents, and a place we frequent whilst imbibing.

I've made even more stitching progress than what is shown here, but I want to keep some of it a surprise!

Martha's Vineyard ~ Aly's family summer getaway.

I applied the same technique to this project that I would to a painting - developing all sections evenly. Working on one piece for a little while but not seeing it to completion has some benefits:

1. You can make new decisions about color, and apply it to partially-finished pieces late game to keep the color composition consistent.
This is especially important when you have disconnected pieces like in this project that should be grounded by some similarity.

2. Consistent effort across all parts.
When you have a deadline, and lots of other things to juggle, this helps to keep the level of detail and care consistent throughout. Towards the end, you may start making decisions about what to cut from your vision. If this is applied throughout all sections, the piece looks more even.

3. You can learn something from one piece that should definitely be applied to another - and it's not too late.
With a painting or a drawing, it's easier to change your mind later on - erase, layer, tear apart or cover it. With embroidery, it's more difficult for me to make a late decision to pull out stitches (sooo much time gone). I had started the house, and then moved on to the horse. I figured out a stitch that would be perfect for the house, and it was not too late to apply it. I never would have thought of the technique if I hadn't applied it to a different problem first.

4. Not feeling overwhelmed by what is left to do.
When I start one section and see it through to completion, and I have to do that many times (9 here), it's overwhelming to feel like you just spent 4 hours on one thing, and you can visualize how many more times you have to do that. When I work on one for a while and move on to the next until they all are at the same stage of completion - I trick myself. I have no sense of how much time is left. But they've all been started. And starting is the hardest part. Picking them up and putting them down throughout the day is much easier if you've already made progress.

Home.

Fleur de lis ~ 
Aly has loved this shape as long as I can remember. It is tattooed on her foot. And her family has connections to New Orleans, so it's a fitting shape for a lot of reasons.


Morgans! 
Aly was obsessed with horses growing up. She's just a lover of all animals. Later in life she still loves horses, and now she lives next door to lots of beautiful Morgans.

star light star bright

Baby daddy's truck

There are a few others in the studio. You'll see them soon! Hopefully after mom has seen them, and before baby arrives. Back to work!

No comments:

Post a Comment