Thursday, February 20, 2014

making us

I have too many projects going on right now. But last week I put them all down and let myself enjoy this one just for us. The vine heart is inspired by another project I'm working on for a wedding. In the inspiration drawing, a couple is enclosed in a ring of flowers. Between that, and the jade painting, the idea of replacing a red heart with a vine came to me.


In the background of the drawing, you can see a first draft of Dave. And because I didn't erase him, it looks like a haunting creep looking over real Meg and Dave. *shudder*


I used a light box to trace the drawing onto the linen.




French knots for his curls, and outline stitch for my locks.


I used 2 strands of a beige-cream for the base of the face and nose, and then I used 1 strand of peach over it to create some dimension.


This is where I struggled to choose between a classic red heart and the heart-shaped leaves. I'm glad I went with the leaves, but that shiny red has been calling my name ever since. I have to use it for something soon.



Cutting heart shaped leaves. I had philodendron in mind.



2 strands each of green and teal to create the vine.



Outline stitch for the heart vine.




Second layer of leaves. Decisions, decisions.


<3


Held up to a light is kinda neat. This gives me ideas.



No comments:

Post a Comment