Thursday, January 2, 2014

the story of yuma

Once upon a time, we called Yuma Baby Yuma. Baby Yuma is no longer a baby. He's a jungle cat. I've heard stories of Yuma climbing the tallest trees, jumping across fence boundaries, and bringing home the hunt. This beast inspires fear in his foes -- but he's a loving furrball to his hominid owners, Annie and Mike.  Mike is Dave's brother, and both Annie and Mike are very special to me. They live with Yuma in Tucson, Arizona, where Mike is working on his MFA. So I suppose he's more of a desert kitty than a jungle kitty.


When we first met Yuma, he was but a wee kitty. The four of us were at Renee's for a weekend around the holidays, and Yuma was in tow. At 1.5 lbs., Yuma howled like a lion when it was time to eat. He would get on his hind legs, howl from deep in his belly, and walk on two paws in a circle as if he had never been fed before in his life. This happened every 6-12 hours. Voracious little kitty.



He found a special place in my heart. Yuma was a wonderful pet to create - look at that mane.


Dave, Me, Mike and Annie - Torrey Pines State Park, CA May 2013

In June, Yuma's parents are getting married. Mazel Tov, Annie and Mike! Yuma will not be in attendance, but many people that I love and adore will be, as well as many new faces. I better get to making wedding gifts soon!



But before I do, I'll tell you the story of how I made Yuma - here's the 'making of' post.

No comments:

Post a Comment