Friday, January 10, 2014

tens of thousands of stitches of love

I'm very spoiled. My Babci and my mom love to shower me in beautiful things. They're both so talented, and I'm the proud owner of many of their crafty pursuits.



My Babci cross-stitched this elaborate portrait of baby me on the beach. The stitches are immaculate, and her sense of light and color is amazing. It's like a Seurat painting.


From a distance, the stitches fade away, and it's me, from a photo on the Cape.


For Christmas this year, my mom single-crocheted a stunning blanket made of Peruvian wool. It is a deep mossy green, so natural and rich. And the best part of all - it is nearly 8 feet long. Can you believe that?! She single-crocheted a blanket tall enough for 5'9" me and 6'1" Dave to snuggle in together. Extraordinary.



It took the better part of 2013 (this afghan came to life during the sox playoffs - go sox!). I love the thought of her spending countless hours in all seasons on such a peaceful activity - and to think it was for me!


After I opened it, she remarked on something so special that I can absolutely relate to. When you make something for someone you love, you spend those peaceful hours lingering on thoughts of that person. Minutes and hours and days are dedicated to them, like setting an intention at the beginning of yoga. You put the piece down for the evening feeling accomplished, feeling love, warmth and calming energy. It's a true joy. And it makes me smile knowing my mom spent the better part of her year setting her intentions on me and Dave. Yay :)

Here's some pictures of it being put to good use on a chilly Sunday morning.



It's near-zero outside, so the only thing to do is curl up and craft. My mom is working on an afghan for herself, and I'm working on a gift for my darling.


My lovely mom crocheting herself an afghan.



Reina was waaaaay into my mom's hobby.


"I'll help."

One of my best friends is expecting her first wee babe. I may have a little something in the works ;). I'm in the delightful throws of that feeling you get making something for someone you love. I don't know this babe yet, but I love its mother with all of my heart. So I'm thinking about 20 years of knowing Aly, and what a gorgeous woman she's become, and how damn excited I am to meet this baby. It's a fun project. More on that later.

Even if it's just a note that says hello, make something for someone you love. Everybody wins!

1 comment:

  1. Such talent & beautifully creative moments captured!

    This moment was fun for them, and full of gratitude for me... http://sofiasideas.com/2014/01/10/this-moment-93/

    ReplyDelete