Tuesday, January 7, 2014

making yuma



For each portrait, I throw together a scrap paper envelope to keep the pattern and fabric pieces together. Sometimes the envelopes become an extension of my journal. Yuma's envelope has a quote from George Malendez Wright, age 29:


"If we destroy nature blindly, it is a boomerang which will be our undoing. Consecration to the task of adjusting ourselves to [the] natural environment so that we secure the best values from nature without destroying it is not useless idealism; it is good hygiene for civilization.”

I was probably watching National Parks: America's Best Idea. I think Yuma could survive in our wild National Parks. He's an American jungle kitty.

Yuma is a smidgen bigger than the other kitties I've sewn. I knew his jet black face would look nice against his longer, rugged gray collar, and this size seemed suitable for the juxtaposition.


To create the collar, I sewed gray loops into the bottom felt layer repeatedly. I created a large loop with my finger, gingerly pulling the needle through but not tying it off. You have to be careful not to move too quickly, and end up pulling several loops through. If you do this enough times, the shear volume of loops creates stability. Finally, I went through and cut all of the loops, leaving whispy, long gray layers.




Hope to see you again real soon Yuma!

No comments:

Post a Comment