Monday, October 7, 2013

making a forest revelry - part 2

4 months later ~


I created this piece to test my own needlecraft skill. I think it's safe this piece took ~100 hours over the course of 6 months. Some weeks were more productive than others. I brought the trees with me to California ~ 3 hr bursts on each flight, and roughly 6 hours on Amtraks down the coast.


This kind of work puts me into a meditative state. I think people are surprised to hear that when they see the detail and size. I'm sure this type of obsessive work would drive some people mad.



The wires are wrapped with a single thread. I keep the wire long so it's easier to handle and bend. The short pieces above were cut after they were shaped. I use dark annealed steel wire - 28 gauge - soft jewelry wire that is easy to cut and bend.



I love this part. At some point the pieces start to come to life. I like holding them in my hand :) .







I started work for my website banner around the same time. after working obsessively on one project for 4 months, taking a break was so rejuvenating.





I tried the mice several times. The guys in my hand above used the simplest approach -- and of course I tried the easy way last. A couple failures:




The first party! When I first imagined them, Nemo was barreling through Boston. They were set in a wintry wonderland. By the time I finished, though, spring was in full bloom and summer flowers were creeping in.



I gave the earth a new dress.





Party!



No comments:

Post a Comment