Sunday, March 23, 2014

tucson cacti - learning illustrator

the cacti sketches i showed last week are for a wedding tote bag for my future brother and sister-in-laws. they live in tucson, and are getting married in southern california in june.



a friend of mine did a quick illustrator demo for me last week. i spent a few hours playing around today...well, i played later in the day. the first part of my practice was mostly me grumbling and pounding my desk. anyway - i powered through! the sketches are still rough, but i can successfully make varied width curved lines. progress!


draft 1


 estimated time to completion for the first seguero line? ~ 60 mins.


I know how to work with layers, so the fundamentals of constructing the drawing were there. but i had no idea how to create the varied line width. actually, i had no idea how to use the pen tool at all. after meeting up with graham, i turned to youtube. I like Philippa Berry Smith's tutorials a lot.


I've got a good base now. I plan to refine the cacti and add more succulent behbehs this week. Yay to new tools!


No comments:

Post a Comment