Wednesday, November 13, 2013

the sloth

I collect postcards. This compulsion has led to a graphic redesign of our fridge. Being aware of my capability to become a hoarder, I abstain from collecting magnets. But that doesn't mean I can't make them for others (please buy my crap so I don't start hoarding sloth magnets too)!

I doodled a sloth in my journal one day. Weeks later, I created a pet magnet for a friend. After revisiting the sloth doodle, I decided a sloth magnet had to be next.


Knowing the first sloth would be for us, I didn't shy away from detail. I wrapped a single thread around wire for the claws and sewed fur on the belly.

The inspiration piece:




I had to simplify the design to make it sell-able. I decided the sloth's face and beady eyes were the most important feature. Though my favorite feature are the original's long claws, that portion took roughly an hour to complete - not sensible if I want to make any sort of profit on these guys.

The simplified sloth:






Hangin' with his best gal. Photo shoots are my favorite part :).


I sewed the "claws" directly onto the hand. I've considered rolling the claws out of clay to get the effect as the original in 1/4 the time.


After sewing three of these creatures, I still felt like something was missing. And then I remembered that sloths have nubbin tails.


Once I got a few of these under my belt, I knew this series was going to get out of hand. Stay tuned for more magnet creatures!

No comments:

Post a Comment